Working as an artist in any field requires more than the time and skill to realize your latest project. Artist statements and curricula vitae are just some of the tools you'll need to gain recognition and support for your work. Whether you're applying for a grant, exhibition or a City of Hamilton Arts Award, the following provide useful explanations and examples to get you started.
- Artist Statement - Learn how to write effectively about your creative practice
- Curriculum Vitae - Our step-by-step instructions for creating an artist resume includes examples for artists working in multiple creative disciplines
We look forward to sharing more resources on this page in the near future, such as artist contracts and further guidance on the granting process. If there's a resource that you would like to see on this page, contact us to let us know.
PREPARING FOR AN EXHIBITION: FAQ FOR VISUAL ARTISTS
The Hamilton Arts Council's Visual Arts Committee has prepared this reference guide to answer many of the questions early-career artists have when starting to exhibit their work for the first time. 'Preparing for an Exhibition: FAQ for Visual Artists' is a good starting point for choosing the right institution to show your work, preparing and pricing your work for exhibition, and dealing with some of the more common issues that may arise in your practice.
- Download Preparing for an Exhibition: FAQ for Visual Artists - Use your computer's PDF reader to view the table of contents and quickly access each topic included in the document.
- Map of Hamilton Area Art Galleries (Google Maps) - Provides listings and locations of Hamilton area art galleries and studios. While we aim to keep this map up to date, please contact us with any new additions or changes required.
RESOURCES FOR BUSINESSES EXHIBITING ART
The Hamilton Arts Council Visual Arts Committee has prepared two documents to assist local businesses such as coffee shops, restaurants and professional offices interested in exhibiting art on their premises. Both provide an overview of important steps to follow to ensure that both the artist and your business share responsibility for a successful exhibition experience.
- Checklist for Businesses That Exhibit Art (PDF) - Provides a step-by-step timeline of the exhibition process, from preparing a call for submissions to managing sales.
- Templates for Businesses Exhibiting Visual Art (Word) - In addition to providing more detailed exhibition considerations, this document provides a framework for creating your own call for submissions and two sample exhibition agreements that cover all common elements of an artist contract.
The Hamilton Arts Council is seeking out new opportunities for artists to secure appropriate working space in the community. If you have arts space in the Hamilton region to rent and are not listed, or would like to make changes to this FREE listing, email Dan Abbott at email@example.com.