Some of our more loyal readers will have no doubt noticed a distinct lack of new LivingArts blog posts these past couple months; I, for one, have definitely missed reading the smart, rashly honest and sometimes downright funny observations of our six amazing artist-writers during this time. But as the saying goes, all good things must come to an end.
The end, in this case, was the conclusion of a generous two-year grant from the Province of Ontario. The Culture Development Fund enabled us to launch LivingArts Hamilton and explore new ways of providing professional development for artists: not only through workshops and panel discussions delivered through our Symposium last October, but also by creating an online platform for artists to share their stories and create their own solutions through conversations. Both our blog and podcast flourished under the leadership of our incredible Community Outreach Officer, Lesley Loksi Chan - so much so that they have become an integral part of our identity as a community arts council.
Even as we say farewell to Lesley and our CDF funding, the Hamilton Arts Council remain committed to ensuring the core conversation of LivingArts Hamilton endures in a sustainable format that will also enable us to expand our reach to a wider circle of arts workers.
The new LivingArts Hamilton will be familiar in many ways, but with some significant changes:
- the LivingArts Podcast will continue to record a new season of episodes with the same great team of Lesley Loksi Chan (producer) and Christopher James Denise (recording technician) behind the scenes
- the LivingArts Blog will relaunch later this summer with an expanded roster of twelve writers who will each write quarterly articles on their area of artistic practice; this means you'll have four LivingArts blog posts to look forward to each month
- while our six LivingArts Blog contributors - Tor Lukasik-Foss, Brandon Vickerd, Jessica Rose, Laurie Kilgour-Walsh, Crystal Jonasson-Haygarth and Steve McKay - will be resuming their blogging duties, we are also seeking six new LivingArts Blog contributors to write on six new subject areas
I encourage you to check out and pass along our current Call for Writers as we commence the hunt for our next six LivingArts Blog contributors. We have enjoyed extensive coverage from our current writers on the Visual Arts, Public Art, Literary Arts, Arts Education (Visual Arts), Theatre and Music respectively, but are now looking to expand the conversation to include the following:
- Fine Craft (ceramic, textile, glass, jewelry, woodworking - any or all practicioners welcome)
- Dance (any and all genres and traditions)
- Film & Media Arts (filmmakers, digital artists, electronic soundmakers - you get the idea)
- Arts Education focusing on Music
- Arts Education focusing on Theatre & Performing Arts
- Arts Administration (yes, it's time to have a conversation about the organizers behind the scenes - any arts focus welcome)
The deadline for expressions of interest from new writers is Monday June 20th - I look forward to hearing from all the new voices who will add to the richness of our conversations about living and working in Hamilton.